What to do when you go over quota on your Exchange account (Outlook 2002, 2003, and 2007)
An error message such as "your mailbox is over its size limit" indicates that you have exceeded your Exchange server quota. Exchange accounts at Ozarka College have a default quota of 500MB.
You can check your disk quota by using the mailbox cleanup tool in Outlook 2002, 2003, or 2007. (This tool is not available in prior versions of Outlook.)
- From the Toolsmenu, selectMailbox Cleanup... .
- Click the View Mailbox Size...(Outlook 2003 and 2007) orClick Here(Outlook 2002) button to view your usage.
Following are suggestions to help you stay within your Exchange quota:
- Check the Deleted Itemsfolder
- Check for large messages and attachments
Check the Deleted Items folder
Any mail you've deleted from your Inbox (or any other folder) is not really gone until you empty the
- To delete individual messages in the Deleted Itemsfolder, select the appropriate message, and click theDeletebutton on the toolbar (it looks like an "X").
- To empty the entire Deleted Itemsfolder, from theToolsmenu, selectEmpty "Deleted Items" Folder.
If you wish, you can set Outlook to automatically delete items in the
Deleted Itemsfolder upon exiting. To do so:
- Within Outlook, from the Toolsmenu, selectOptions... .
- Click the Othertab.
- In the window that appears, select the checkbox that says Empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting.
Check for large messages and attachments
To search for messages and attachments over a specified size, follow the directions below to use Advanced Find:
- From the Toolsmenu, chooseMailbox Cleanup... .
- Click the radio button Find items larger than. You can leave the default value of 250 kilobytes or increase it to narrow your search to larger messages. A good starting point is 5,000 kilobytes.
- Click Find... .
- In the Advanced Findwindow, clickView, thenArrange By, and thenSize.
Now that you have a list of messages in the
Advanced Findwindow that are over a certain size, you must choose what you want to do with those messages:
- You can delete them by right-clicking each message in the Advanced Findwindow and choosingDelete.
Note: This option will move the message to theDeleted Itemsfolder, but you will need to empty that folder to reduce your overall quota.
- You can open each message, save its attachment(s) to a local folder, and then remove the attachment(s) from the message. This will allow you to keep the email message without the attachment counting against your Exchange quota. Below are the steps for this procedure:
- In the Advanced Findwindow, double-click the message.
- Right-click the attachment(s), and click Save As... .
- Browse to the folder you would like to save the attachment in, and click Save.
- Right-click the attachment(s), and click Remove.
- From the message's Filemenu, selectSaveto save the message without the attachment(s).
- In the