Health Information Technology
The Technical Certificate in Health Information Technology offers a certificate to provide an educational program which prepares the student with the skills necessary to obtain entry level employment in the health records departments of hospitals, clinics, government facilities, and other medical facilities. This includes the basic concepts and functions of the origin, use, content, and format of the health record. The Technical Certificate prepares the student with an understanding of the legal and ethical responsibilities of a healthcare facility and supplies the student with an understanding of the electronic medical record (EMR) and its use in the healthcare facility. It prepares the student with the skills necessary to transcribe and format medical reports and utilizes contemporary education methodology to promote student success. Courses should follow the sequence as stated below.
Graduates will possess the knowledge and skills needed to:
- Explain the role of the HIT professional and the importance of the electronic health record (EHR).
- Categorize the various requirements in collecting, assimilating, and the distribution of health record documentation.
- Reconstruct paper health records to electronic health records.
- Distinguish between the basic formats of the various medical reports and have the ability to transcribe and proofread those reports.
- Justify the needed information from the health record for trending, and planning, purposes.
- Explain that the health record is a legal document that must be kept secure, private, and confidential.
DEGREE REQUIREMENTS HLTH - TC Health Information Technology
All of the courses listed below
BIOL1204 Body Structure & Function4
COLL1101 Freshman Seminar1
ENGL1013 English Composition I3
HIT1013 Computer Applications for Healthcare Professionals3
HIT1303 Medical Terminology3
HIT1503 Coding Principles3
HIT1504 Pathophysiology with Pharmacology4
HIT2003 Fundamentals of Medical Transcription3
HIT2213 Legal/Ethical Aspects of Healthcare3
Requirement: 3 Credits from below
MATH1003 Math for Health Professions3