AAS Health Information Technology
Successful completion of the requirements of the associate degree program in Health Information Technology will prepare the student for entry-level employment as a health information processor by providing the basic knowledge, understand, and skills required to work in a variety of healthcare settings, from receptionist to transcription, billing and coding to management. Health Information Technology provides the students with the skills to process data with accuracy, clarity, and timeliness, code diagnosis and procedures of the medical office and hospital setting by applying the principles of professional and ethical conduct, thus, becoming a vital link in the healthcare chain of our society. The Health Information Technology program provides lifelong skills for marketable performance.
Upon completion of the program, students will
- Demonstrate written, verbal and medical usage in all areas of communication.
- Operate computers and support software relative to job performance and use technology in the preparation/submission of data
- Devise a large medical vocabulary and understand human anatomy, physiology, diseases, diagnotistic indications, drugs, surgical, and other procedures using scientific knowledge and mathematical reasoning.
- Identify, distinguish, and interpret inconsistencies, discrepanies, and inaccuracies in all medical office procedures and make appropriate corrections.
- Compile, organize and produce information while maintaining confidentiality.
- Relate ethical and Professional standards for all clients regardless of socio-economic conditions, race, age or cultural beliefs.
The students' practicum experience may be at regional medical centers and/or physician’s offices in the four county area under supervision of medical record personnel.
Eligibility requirements for admission into the Health Information Program is the ability of keyboarding at least 50 words per minute and be computer literate-know how or be familiar with word processing and spreadsheets.
All of the courses listed below
BIOL1204 Body Structure & Function4
COLL1001 College Success Orientation1
CPSI1003 Intro. to Computer Applications3
ENGL1013 English Composition I3
ENGL1023 English Composition II3
HIT1003 Health Data Content and Structure3
HIT1013 Computer Applications for Healthcare Professionals3
HIT1203 Medical Terminology I3
HIT1213 Medical Terminology II3
HIT1504 Pathophysiology with Pharmacology4
HIT1803 Diagnostic Coding3
HIT1813 Procedural CPT Coding3
HIT2003 Fundamentals of Medical Transcription3
HIT2203 Healthcare Statistics3
HIT2213 Legal/Ethical Aspects of Healthcare3
HIT2253 Reimbursement Methods/Health Care Quality3
HIT2263 Clinical Practicum3
HIT2313 Healthcare Delivery System3
Requirement: 3 Credits from below
BTMA1033 Math for Business Technology3
MATH1103 Mathematics with Bus Applications3
MATH1203 College Algebra3
MATH1303 Trigonometry 3
MATH2013 Survey of Calculus 3
Requirement: 3 Credits from below
ANTH2023 Cultural Anthropology3
CRIM1023 Introduction to Criminal Justice3
ECON2113 Business Statistics I3
ECON2313 Intro. to Microeconomics 3
ECON2323 Introduction to Macroeconomics3
GEOG2013 Intro to Geography 3
HIST1003 World Civilization I 3
HIST1013 World Civilization II 3
HIST2003 American History I3
HIST2013 American History II 3
HIST2023 Arkansas History 3
PLSC2003 American National Government 3
PSYC2003 General Psychology 3
PSYC2313 Developmental Psychology3
PSYC2513 Abnormal Psychology3
SOCI2013 Introduction to Sociology 3